The Home windows Begin Menu is the central space for launching functions, discovering content material, and performing different system actions. It has an area to “pin” frequently-used gadgets for fast entry, together with shortcuts to apps, information, folders, and web sites.
This tutorial will present you the way to add shortcuts to the Home windows 11 and 10 Begin Menu. We used a Home windows 11 PC for this tutorial, however the steps apply to gadgets working Home windows 10.
If an app shortcut or executable (.exe) file is on the desktop, right-click it and choose Pin to Begin.
You too can add an merchandise to the Begin Menu from the File Explorer. Open the folder containing the app, right-click the EXE file, and choose Pin to Begin.
It’s doable so as to add app shortcuts to the Home windows Begin Menu from the Begin Menu itself. This methodology is useful in case you can’t discover an app on the desktop or File Explorer. A superb use for this is able to be including shortcuts for incessantly used system utilities (e.g., Job Supervisor or Management Panel).
Press the Begin button or Home windows key and sort the app’s identify within the search bar. Choose Pin to Begin beneath the app menu within the search outcomes.
Pinning folders to the Begin Menu can also be simple. Proper-click the folder and choose Pin to Begin.
Once you right-click a file, you received’t discover an choice so as to add it to the Begin Menu. That’s as a result of Microsoft designed the Begin Menu to carry apps and folders. It’s at the moment not doable to pin a file to the Begin Menu. Nevertheless, you possibly can pin a shortcut to a file.
You are able to do so by shifting the file shortcut to a selected folder in your PC. There’s an alternative choice: modifying your PC’s registry. We’ll present you the way to add information to the Begin Menu utilizing each strategies.
- First, create a shortcut for the file. Open File Explorer, right-click the merchandise and choose Create shortcut.
In case your PC is working Home windows 11, right-click the file, choose Present extra choices, and choose Create shortcut.
Fast Tip: There’s a sooner approach to create shortcuts for a file. Press and maintain the Alt key, then drag and drop the file to the identical folder or elsewhere. That’ll make a shortcut for the file within the vacation spot folder.
- Choose the brand new shortcut and press Ctrl + C to repeat it to your PC’s clipboard.
- Open the Home windows Run field, kind shell:applications within the dialog field, and choose OK.
Alternatively, paste %AppDatapercentMicrosoftWindowsStart MenuPrograms within the Run field and choose OK.
- The command will open the folder that homes Begin Menu shortcuts in Home windows. Paste the file shortcut you copied (in step #2) to the Applications folder (or Begin Menu folder).
Any file shortcut within the Applications folder will mechanically seem within the Begin Menu. The ultimate step is to pin the file shortcut to the Begin Menu.
- Open the Begin Menu and choose All apps to open the checklist of all functions.
- Find and right-click the file shortcut on the checklist. Choose Pin to Begin so as to add the file shortcut to the Begin Menu.
It is best to now see the file shortcut(s) within the “Pinned” part of your pc’s Begin Menu.
On this methodology, you’ll first unlock the “Pin to Begin” context menu choice for information by utilizing a Registry hack. After that, you’ll be capable of right-click any shortcut and pin it to the Begin menu.
Warning: Earlier than continuing, make sure you create a backup of your Home windows Registry. The Home windows Registry homes a set of delicate information that assist your pc work easily. Deleting important information (even by chance) can break your PC or some system functionalities.
Relatively than modifying the Registry straight, we’ll stroll you thru making a particular textual content file that may register the required adjustments to the Registry for you.
- Open Notepad in your pc and paste the code beneath into a brand new doc.
Home windows Registry Editor Model 5.00
- Choose File on the menu bar and choose Save as (or press Ctrl + Shift + S).
- Save the doc as a registry file anyplace in your pc. Give it a reputation like PintoStartScreen.reg, change the “Save as kind” subject to All information, and choose Save.
- Open the file and choose OK on the Registry Editor pop-up.
- Choose OK.
- Afterward, create a shortcut for the file you need to pin to the Begin Menu. Proper-click the file and choose Create shortcut.
In Home windows 11, right-click the file, choose Present extra choices, and choose Create shortcut.
- Proper-click the file shortcut and choose Pin to Begin.
Test the Begin Menu for the pinned file shortcut(s).
Creating Begin Menu shortcuts for frequently-visited web sites is straightforward. We’ll present you the way to do it in Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome, however strategies for different browsers might be comparable. Make sure you’re working the most recent variations of those browsers in your pc.
Open the web site or net web page you need to pin to the Begin Menu and comply with the steps beneath.
- Faucet the three-dot menu icon within the top-right nook of the toolbar.
- Choose Extra instruments.
- Choose Pin to Begin or Pin this web page to Begin—relying on the model of Microsoft Edge you might have. A “Pin to taskbar” choice additionally provides the web site shortcut on the taskbar.
- Choose Sure on the affirmation immediate.
Test your PC’s Begin Menu or Taskbar for the web site shortcut.
- Open the web site’s tab in Chrome. Choose the menu icon within the top-right nook, choose Extra instruments, and choose Create shortcut.
- Rename the shortcut—if you need—and choose Create.
- Chrome will create a shortcut for the web site within the Desktop folder. Proper-click the desktop shortcut and choose Pin to Begin.
There are two sections within the Home windows Begin Menu: Pinned and Really helpful content material. Home windows shows a balanced variety of pinned and beneficial gadgets. Nevertheless, when you might have too many shortcuts within the Begin Menu, they roll over right into a second web page within the pinned part.
Scrolling via a number of pages might be time-wasting. Therefore, we suggest customizing what number of pinned shortcuts and the way a lot beneficial content material Home windows exhibits within the Begin Menu.
Go to Settings > Personalization > Begin and choose Extra pins to have extra shortcuts in your PC’s Begin Menu.
Seek advice from this tutorial on customizing the Home windows Begin Menu to discover ways to personalize the Begin Menu interface.
Shortcuts you add to the Begin Menu are solely obtainable to your (or your person account). To make an app or file shortcut obtainable to all customers, paste it into the Public Desktop (C:UsersPublicDesktop) folder. Afterward, check in to the person account and manually add the Begin Menu shortcut.